Two killed, over 120 wounded in West Bank protests

Published on 01 August 2014
Written by Ahmad Jaradat
Over 30,000 Palestinians took part in a Gaza solidarity demonstration in the West Bank city of Hebron on Friday/Photo: Bassam Shweiki, Hebron Defense Committee

As global attention focused today on the Gaza ceasefire that was not to be, two Palestinians were killed and over 120 wounded in mass Gaza solidarity protests throughout the West Bank.

Tamer Sammour, 22, was shot in the chest with live ammunition during a protest at the checkpoint near the city of Tulkarem. Sammour was declared dead already in the field. An additional 14 Palestinians were injured by live and rubber-coated steel bullets shot by the Israeli army, which acted to suppress the protest. Over 3,000 Palestinians were taking part in the demonstration, called for by the Palestinian national and Islamic parties, to support Gaza and protest the Israeli massacres.

Odai Nafez Jaber, 19, was wounded by three live bullets during protests near his Ramallah-area town of Saffa. Jaber died in the hospital this evening.

Four Palestinians were wounded by live ammunition in the Koror Gaddom village north of Qalqilya, during clashes that broke out between local youth and Israeli soldiers following the Friday prayers.

Six Palestinians were wounded by live ammunition in the Nablus-area town of Huwwar during clashes that broke out between local residents and Israeli soldiers.

Hundreds of youth clashed with Israeli soldiers near the northern entrance to the town of Bethlehem. Three Palestinians were injured from live ammunition, with one described as being in critical condition. He was initially taken to the hospital in the nearby town of Beit Jalla before being transferred to the Hebron's Al Ahali hospital. Several dozen protesters were wounded by rubber-coated steel bullets and overcome by the massive amounts of tear gas shot by the soldiers in an effort to disperse the protest.

Over 30,000 people in the southern West Bank town of Hebron participated in a mass Gaza solidarity protest.  Upon reaching the area of Bab al Zaweya, located between the city's H1 and H2 sections, demonstrators were fired upon by Israeli soldiers. 90 Palestinians were wounded, 72 from live ammunition and the remainder from rubber-coated steel bullets.  All 90 were taken to Hebron hospitals, where many remain for treatment. Hospital sources report that five of the wounded are defined as being in serious condition.  

Twenty Palestinians were wounded by live ammunition and two from rubber-coated steel bullets in the Ramallah-area town of Saffa. Odai Nafez Jaber, as noted above, was killed. Hundreds of Palestinians, together with several international activists, marched to the Separation Wall situated near the village, where they were attacked by waiting soldiers. The injured demonstrators were taken to the hospital in Ramallah.

In the nearby town of Beitunia, ten Palestinians were wounded by rubber-coated steel bullets as they approached the Ofer military prison. And in the village of Silwad, near Ramallah, 30 Palestinians were wounded by rubber-coated steel bullets at the village's main entrance.

At the Qalandiya checkpoint, located between Ramallah and Jerusalem, three Palestinians were wounded from live ammunition and an additional five from rubber-coated steel bullets. Hundreds of young Palestinians were participating in the demonstration, under the title of Day of Rage, against the massacres in Gaza. This demonstration was called for by the national and Islamic political partieis, s well as the youth movement in the Qalandiya refugee camp.  

Eleven Palestinians were wounded by live ammunition near the town of A-Ram, north of Jerusalem. Clashes with soldiers took place at the northern entrance to the town. 


Related news

Eid Mubarak! Due to the holiday of Eid al Adha, there will be no event at the AICafe on Saturday 4 October. We look forward to welcoming you as usual on Tuesday 7 October. Eid Mubarak! The AIC is a joint Palestinian-Israeli activist...

Latest Articles